Hosting a quiz night can be great fun, especially if you know all of the answers. Those that don’t will sometimes take a bit of a gamble at the answer, so why not ask them about gambling as a general topic?
The aim of this quiz is to test your knowledge of all things betting, with some of the answers being trickier than you might think. You might well know some of them thanks to your general knowledge, whereas others are likely to pose something of an issue for you to answer them straight off the bat. Best of luck!
1. What is the term for a casino game in which players bet on the outcome of a roll of two dice?
2. Which card game is commonly associated with secret agent James Bond?
Baccarat (although he plays various different games through the films, including No Limit Hold’em Poker In Casino Royale)
3. What is the name of the largest gambling city in the world?
Las Vegas (there are 100 casinos in Las Vegas, with Macau having around half of that. That being said, Macau’s gaming revenue is three times that of Sin City)
4. In roulette, what colour is the single zero pocket on the European wheel?
5. What is the sum total of all of the odds given on the outcome of an event known as?
6. What is the term for the percentage of a player’s bet that the casino expects to win in the long run?
7. What is the term for a bet that covers two adjacent numbers on the roulette table?
8. What is the highest possible hand in a standard game of poker?
9. In blackjack, what is the name of the card combination consisting of an ace and a ten-value card?
10. What is the name of the famous Las Vegas boulevard known for its numerous casinos?
11. Which regulatory body is responsible for overseeing and licensing bookmakers in the United Kingdom?
The United Kingdom Gambling Commission or UKGC
12. What is the term for a type of bet where the bookmaker offers better odds than the market average to attract bettors?
Enhanced odds or price boost
13. Which gambling game involves drawing numbers at random and matching them against pre-purchased tickets?
14. What is the term for a poker hand that consists of five consecutive cards of the same suit?
15. Which term is used to describe a situation where the bookmaker’s potential losses are greater than the total amount of money they have taken in bets?
Overexposure or a lopsided book
16. In poker, what is the term for a bet made by a player who believes they have the best hand?
17. What is the term for a bet that pays out at the same amount as the original wager?
18. What is the term for the commission or fee charged by a bookmaker for accepting a bet?
Vigorish or ‘vig’ for short
19. What is the term for the electronic device used to generate random numbers in online gambling games?
Random Number Generator
20. Which hotel and casino chain took over Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City?
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino
21. In poker, what is the term for a hand that contains five cards in numerical order?
22. What is the oldest bookie still going today?
23. In blackjack, what is the term for the card dealt face down in the dealer’s hand?
The Hole card. The same name is given to the cards dealt face down in poker.
24. Which type of bet allows the bettor to predict whether the final outcome will be above or below a specified number set by the bookmaker?
25. What is the term for a bet that covers a row of three numbers on the roulette table?
A Street bet
26. In poker, what is the term for a hand that contains three cards of the same rank and two cards of another rank?
27. Which term is used to describe a bet that combines multiple selections into a single wager?
Accumulator or Acca
28. What is the term for the act of quitting while ahead in gambling?
29. Which term is used to describe the practice of placing bets on opposite outcomes with different bookmakers to guarantee a profit?
30. Which card game is Chemin de Fer a variation of?
31. Which type of betting involves predicting the winner of a specific tournament or championship before it begins?
32. Which type of betting involves predicting whether a specific occurrence will happen during a sporting event, such as the first goal or a red card?
Prop betting or proposition betting
33. What is the term for the amount of money that is risked on a bet?
Stake or wager
34. What is the term for a bet that covers all the numbers in a specific section of the roulette table?
A Sector or a Neighbour bet
35. In the game of craps, what is the term for a bet that the shooter will roll a 7 or 11 on the come-out roll?
Pass Line bet
36. According to basic strategy, which of blackjack hand should you always split?
A pair of Aces
37. In 1899, a man named Charles Fey, living in San Francisco, designed the first slot machine. It was named after one of the reels on the machine. What was that name?
The Liberty Bell
38. What is the term for a bet that covers a specific number on the roulette table?
Straight bet or a Single bet
39. In poker, what is the term for the player who is seated to the left of the dealer and is the first to act in each betting round?
40. The name of the game ‘craps’ comes from the French word ‘crapaud’, but what does ‘crapaud’ mean?
41. Which game was developed in China in order to fund the building of the Great Wall?
42. In casino terminology, what is a ‘whale’?
Wealthy gamblers who often lose vast sums of money
43. Which casino game involves players placing bets on whether the next card drawn will be higher or lower than the previous one?
It boasts the imaginative name of High-Low or Hi-Lo
44. Where in a casino would you expect to find slot machines with the lowest payout?
Near to the cage
45. How many numbers are there on a Keno board?
46. When the war for readers was being fought between British tabloids in the 1980s, which paper decided to introduce ‘newspaper bingo’, seeing its circulation rise to nearly two million a month as a result?
47. What is the term for the act of placing a bet after the outcome of an event has already been determined?
Past posting or late betting, which is usually considered to be unethical and is forbidden in most gambling establishments
48. Who invented the Lucky 15?
Fred Done, the founder of Betfred, claims to have invented the Lucky 15. Whether he did or not is difficult to disprove.
49. What do the numbers on a roulette wheel add up to?
50. Which bingo number is known as the ‘key to the door’?