Super Group may not sound super familiar to many people, but once you hear the name Betway, it could become more so to your ears. That’s because Super Group is the parent company of Betway, a premier online sports betting brand, as well as Spin, which serves as a multi-brand online casino option.
The leadership team at the company are pioneers in the fields of betting, gaming and technology, bringing decades of experience to the table. Today, Super Group has a global workforce of over 3,500 people, and it holds offices in 17 countries.
Latest Group News
- Betway Fined £400,000 for Marketing on Kids’ Section of West Ham Website September 22, 2022
- Record Gambling Commission Fine For Win Technologies’ Betway Brand March 17, 2020
- Betway Under Fire For VIP Gambling Incentive Practises January 27, 2020
An In-Depth Look at Super Group
The Betway brand came about in 2006, and it holds licences in numerous countries for operational purposes. These include the United Kingdom, Malta, Italy, Denmark, Spain, Belgium, Germany, and various others. It bases itself primarily out of Malta and Guernsey, and has support offices in London, South Africa and on the Isle of Man. Throughout the proceeding years, the Super Group – primarily through the Betway brand – has experienced some exceptional growth in the gambling world.
In 2015, it became a member of the Independent Betting Adjudication Service (IBAS) and ESSA. It also became an official donor to the Responsible Gambling Trust and partnered up with the Professional Players Federation (PPF). It was also in this year that Betway formed its partnership with West Ham Premier League football team, and was also noted as the first betting company to ever sponsor the tennis Davis Cup. The sportsbook at Betway approached the 100,000+ in-play events and launched its eSports offering in the same year.
In 2016, the Betway online casino was awarded the Guinness World Record for the largest jackpot payout from the Mega Moolah slot by Microgaming. One lucky gamer managed to snag €17,879,645 in October of the previous year. It was also the year that several partnerships were entered into by the company, including the sponsorship of the All-Weather Championships in horse racing and becoming the official betting partner of RSC Anderlecht in Belgium.
A virtual sports product was launched at Betway the following year, as is the ‘betyourway’ product, allowing gamblers more freedom over the wagers that they place. A live casino studio also comes to the platform, known as the Betway Lounge. In collaboration with Saatchi & Saatchi, Betway launched a European advertising campaign in 2018, and united with PPF to promote sports betting integrity.
The German e-sports team Berlin International Gaming (BIG) is sponsored by the Betway brand in 2019, and it extends its sponsorship of the Grand National for another five years.
Super Group has managed to achieve recognition in the United States via its Betway brand too, with the platform being present in six U.S. states. They are Arizona, Colorado, Indiana, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Iowa. The launch of its betting platform came about as part of an agreement with the iGaming content provider Digital Gaming Corporation (DGC). Its launch in Colorado was the first foray by Betway into the U.S. gambling scene, occurring in April of 2021.
The team at Super Group is chaired by Eric Grubman, who came on board following a successful deal with Sports Entertainment Acquisition Corp., where he already served as Chairman and CFO. Standing alongside him is CEO Neal Menashe, who co-founded Win Technologies in 2001, and which was acquired by the Betway Group in 2011. Richard Hasson is the company’s President and COO, who joined Win Technologies in 2012 following successful runs with KPMG, Goldman Sachs and Prodigy Finance. And finalising the premium side of the management team is Alinda Van Wyk, serving as CFO. She brings 20 years of experience in senior financial positions within the online gaming world.
Acquisitions by Super Group
Super Group is one of those companies that doesn’t really need to acquire others in order to stand out and expand. It already has a solid status with the Betway and Spin brands under its umbrella. It has been involved in various partnerships and deals over the years to enhance its own general status, though. Take a look at some of these below.
- 2015 – Betway becomes the sponsor of the Queen Mother Champion Chase horse racing event at Cheltenham Festival. It also becomes the title sponsor for Premier League Darts. The company becomes the official sponsor of West Ham football club. It also becomes the very first gambling company to sponsor the Davis Cup in tennis.
- 2016 – Betway becomes the sponsor of the highly popular and successful eSports team Ninjas in Pyjamas. It also signs Bundesliga football clubs in Germany and sponsors the All-Weather Championships in horse racing. The West Ham sponsorship deal is also extended through to the 2019/20 season.
- 2017 – Betway is named as the Official Betting Partner of the Grand National Festival, as well as the Werder Bremen German football club. The third consecutive Betway UK Championship Snooker Final takes place, and the sponsorship of the event is extended. It also becomes the new sponsor for the ESL Pro League and ESL One Cologne in eSports.
- 2018 – The company becomes the official global betting partner of the Mzansi Super League T20 in cricket, and it expands into Italy via a sponsorship deal set up with A.S. Roma. The Spanish football world is also infiltrated, with a deal signed with Alaves, Levante and Leganes. Betway proceeds to sign Dusseldorf and Hannover 96 to three-year deals.
- 2019 – Berlin International Gaming (BIG), a German-based eSports team, is sponsored by Betway, and its partnership with ESL is renewed. The sponsorship of the Grand National is extended by another five years, while a partnership with cricketer Kevin Pietersen is also announced.
The deals and partnerships mentioned above have all helped to maintain the Betway, and indeed the Super Group, status level within the sports and sports betting worlds. Super Group has launched its own brands, which exist in four different areas:
- Spin Casino
- Dream Bingo
- Hippodrome Casino
Any Fines or Sanctions?
Betway may be one of the most well-known brands when it comes to sports betting, but this hasn’t stopped it from also suffering at the hands of fines within the United Kingdom and beyond. Take a look at some of the penalties it has had sent its way.
- 2020 – A massive £11.6 million fine meted out to Betway for accepting stolen money equating to up to £5.8 million from high-spending VIP clients, some of which were displaying clear gambling addiction signs.
- 2021 – Sweden’s Spelinspektionen imposed a SEK 100,000 (€9,800) fine on Betway for violating the country’s ban on betting bonuses being offered via marketing campaigns.
- 2022 – Betway are fined £408,915 by the UKGC for marketing on a children’s page of West Han United who they sponsor.
There are some figures on hand detailing how the Super Group are doing in terms of its income and other financials. The latest report comes from the first quarter of 2022, and is as follows:
- Revenue of €334.5 million (£284.8 million) reported for Q1 2022, marking an increase of 7% period-on-period.
- Adjusted EBITDA of €61.5 million (£52.4 million), marking a 14% increase period-on-period.
- A loss after tax of €162.3 million (£138.2 million), including €201.5 million (£171.6 million) of costs and changes in fair values associated with the business combination and listing as a public company.
- Revenue increase labelled as a result of growth in the African and Asia-Pacific markets, which have been offset by adverse impacts from tightening regulation, and in some instances, ceasing to operate in a few European markets. Continued shutdowns due to the COVID-19 pandemic has also been labelled as a contributing factor to this.
- The monthly average customers for Q1 2022 increased by 10% to 2.6 million from 2.4 million in 2021.
- As of the end of March 2022, Super Group had over 70 brand partnerships present in more than 20 jurisdictions.
Office Locations for Super Group
The head office of Super Group remains at the following address: Kingsway House, Havilland Street, St Peter Port, Guernsey, GY1 2QE. Yet it also possesses a variety of other office locations, including the following places:
- Gzira, Malta
- Toronto, Canada
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Mexico City, Mexico
- North London, UK
- Dusseldorf, Germany
- Madrid, Spain
- Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Gothenburg, Sweden
- Ceuta, Spain